Friday, May 2, 2008

remembering stephan

19 years ago today i lost my first husband in a horrible accident. it's so funny how we say "lost". he wasn't really lost i knew exactly where he was, but he was lost to me. the day started out just like any other. who knew that by the end of the day i would be a widow. there are parts of that day i will never forget and parts of that day i can't remember. i do remember one minute being perfectly happy and the next minute my whole world crashing in around me. my mind just couldn't wrap around the fact of what was going on. i was lucky in the fact that he was coherent and couldn't stop talking to me. for what seemed like hours but in reality was only about 30 minutes i laid beside my husband as he bled to death from an accidental gun shot wound. all he wanted was for me to hold him. so i did. i laid down in the grass and held him one last time. he knew the ambulance wouldn't get there in time. its strange watching someone you love die. watching the color drain from their eyes. literally the blue drained from his eyes. but he talked and talked and talked. nothing profound just that wanting to know that i was there and listening one last time.

6 comments:

  1. i'm praying for you, my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes life is hard. But GOD! I'm so sorry for the hurts that have landed on you, but we do know that these trials can make us stronger or they can break us. I see you as a very strong sweet girl kid!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love you, dear friend.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry...I can't begin to imagine that kind of pain. I pray that you know the feel of Jesus' hug today. Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry, Rhonda. I wish I would have known on Friday. I would have given you a hug or drew you a picture..I'm good at that sort of thing.

    Well, I hope that our carrying on at work helped lift your heart just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry rhondie. I wasn't even aware it was that time of the year. No wonder your emotions were so raw on Sunday evening. You should have told me since I am so bad about reading blogs right now. You are so strong. My heart weeps with you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete