Saturday, November 1, 2008

coins for groceries

about twice a year i haul my husbands change bucket (a 3 pound coffee can) to the grocery store. i throw the change into the coinstar machine and a little receipt pops out. i then buy groceries with my change. i really don't know why this little activity makes me so happy, but its like free money. yes i do know that it really isn't free money, but it feels that way. i don't even mind paying the fee to have the machine count it for me.

how much did my husband have in his can?

the grand total today was $120. wooo hooo!!!

5 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool!

    I love scrounging up change and saving it. It usually doesn't stay saved for long, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done that in quite a while, but I remember using the money from our change jar to make the down payment on our first car (used, of course). We rolled it ourselves ($100) and carried it in a shoebox, riding to the man's house on a motorcycle. It was the only transportation we had. The man was just blown away. You're right, it does feel like free money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my little sister saves her coins all year long and it is their spending cash for their vacations.

    but they put any change into the container. so anytime they break a bill, the change goes into the jar.

    that's pretty cool to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you must've been at the machine for a while! i love coin machines! we have one at my work and i look forward to using it (yes, i am a nerd.)

    ReplyDelete